Victor Pasmore's drinks cabinet at Tate Britain



Tate Britain BP Spotlights - New Brutalist Image 1949 - 55 (24 November 2014 to 4 October 2015 Free)

These displays fall into two categories. One which takes you on a journey through British Art, and 'Spotlights', which explore a theme or artist in depth.

I've fallen in love with a drinks cabinet which I saw in one of the spotlights of the BP Walk through British Art at Tate Britain. I'm partial to making furniture which I have done on many occasions. Most modern furniture is pretty simple to make as it's just a series of boxes really. Over the years I've made record stacking units, wardrobes, bed bases, coffee tables and other storage units. I have eight pieces in my home that I've designed and made, I can't help myself really, I like doing it even though my carpentry is not that good. Robin groans when I say I want to make something as he knows I'll rope him in for the build but after lots of cursing it's a very satisfying achievement.

But, back to the Tate spotlight on the exhibition Parallel of life and Art which was created in 1953, being the joint effort of the sculptor Eduardo Paolozzi, the artist and photographer Nigel Henderson and architects Alison and Peter Smithson. This group collaborated on the design and building of the architecturally famous Hunstanton School in Norfolk, conceived by the Smithson's in 1949. The display of their work in the form of photographs drawings and sculptures is contained in one room.

Roland Jenkins's office at Ove Arup & Partners was the hub for the ideas of this group and it was in this office that the drinks cabinet resided which was made for him by Victor Pasmore.





I covet this wonderful object. It is sophisticated but simple and has human proportions, unlike a lot of furniture today. The way the hinges can be seen and the edges of wood revealed, the use of perspex and geometric shapes on the doors and the way these shapes are different on each door is something that I feel makes it a superb piece of furniture and art, but it is still fully functional and is obviously made by hand. It has made me think about the greater possibilities for my furniture making and possibly some customising too. 

I enjoyed this room very much and the other spotlight room on Marlow Moss who I will probably discuss later on.







No comments:

Post a Comment