Alice Anderson: Memory Movement Memory Objects



So, for my sins, this week I had to go to hospital for an Endoscopy. That's the one where they stick a camera down your throat, go on a tour of your innards and then take a few snaps like they're on some sort of weird holiday. I chose not to be sedated, which meant copious amounts of mental preparation in order to remain calm.

Anyway,  I arrived at UCH Hospital in Euston with half an hour to spare so I popped into the Wellcome building a couple of doors down to kill some time and found myself in another world entirely. Inside was a free exhibition by Alice Anderson called Memory Movement Memory Objects. As I entered I found myself in a very dark environment so it took a moment for my eyes to adjust but standing out against this black void was the shape of a car entirely wrapped in copper wire, reflecting the available light beautifully. 

On exploring further I found myself in another room filled with many objects on walls and plinths all wrapped up, shining away like jewels inside a cave. I can remember a record deck and some empty toothpaste tubes that had been given the 'treatment'.




In another room there were sculptures made up of combinations of objects. I particularly liked these, perhaps because the composite objects had morphed into a new entity, becoming generally larger and more sculptural than the single pieces.

This led into the room with an installation of giant proportions. Immediately I was reminded of my own intestines; it seemed kind of symbolic of my forthcoming situation but it was a very soothing experience being in the room.




There were some other groupings: one of small geometric shapes and another of a large circle of vertical but flat rectangular shapes reminding me of Stonehenge.

There was more...it was a surprisingly large collection of work. Big items like a canoe and a wheelbarrow were in the last room. It's all about committing moments to memory and rediscovering things you thought you knew but for me it was just a really nice place to be before being kind of tortured. 

So if you find yourself near Euston and you want to get away from it all for a bit, take yourself into another world of darkness and quiet where gleaming morphed objects sit quietly waiting for you to gaze on them. Alternatively, if you really fancy a bit of wrapping you can join in and wrap up one of the donated objects.

This exhibition is on until 18 October and is free to get in.



No comments:

Post a Comment